18 December 2012

Sawtill

I've always wanted to make one of these.  Not only because they look cool, but they are very practical if you own a few handsaws.  The reason is the size of the saws makes them difficult to store. You cannot stack them, or put them on a shelf, and they are too long for most cupboards.  Many woodworkers hang them off pegs around the workshop, but I find that untidy and a use of space that I don't have.  The sawtill I made hangs on a French cleat quite high on the wall.  You can do this because you are grabbing the saw by the handle which is on the bottom end, and this in turn allows you to store tools below.



I made this out of pine, under the supervision of a teacher.  The lessons learnt were very valuable (see my following two posts on hand cut dovetailed boxes), and being in an experienced woodworker's shop is a lesson in itself-you get to see how they work, their flow their tools.