Up to now I'd been cutting dovetails with softer pine which allows for a tighter fit. The Oak was not as forgiving so even thought the dovetails looked super tight (see below) on dry assembly, there was no glue space, so the gluing up was a nightmare.
In the ensuing panic I didn't square up the box properly and that was a problem when fitting a lid that slides in a groove cut into three sides of the box! But it was good practice, because after all woodworking is mainly about problem solving. I raised the panel by hand-marking gauge and #5 jack plane. I cut the grooves for the lid with a Record 050 plough plane. And I had fun.