05 May 2012

Temporary Handplane Cupboard


I had a choice.  Either keep my handplanes in my existing steel cabinet where they were hard to reach, and kept bumping into the steel top and each other every time I took them out.  Or wait a few years before I had the necessary skills to make a proper hand-tool storage cupboard.  The third option was a plywood open box assembled with rebates and glue. The shelves rest on cleats which were screwed into the sides.  I may or may not put a door later.  If I put a face frame, it will only be for the practice.  It took half a day to assemble, my planes are not touching each other and easy & quickly accessible, so as to allow me to get onto the real thing-making furniture.  I must say it does look ugly, so I do prescribe to the aesthetic thing when it comes to some tools as well as tool storage.  But I do have instant gratification with this cupboard.  I suppose finding that balance will always be necessary.

In terms of classification, I put the two jointers on top as they are too long to fit into the space.  next come the block and shoulder planes.  then the fore planes-scrub, fore and #5.  Then all the smoothers and scraping planes.  Finally the plough and rebate planes are at the bottom.  I have used up 60% of the cupboard so I may put a drawer and a lower compartment for storage later.